Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 Sierra USB problems

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Sierra USB problems

Sorry if it's taboo to post on a GMC in a Chevrolet forum but I thought maybe someone here might have some insight or reap some benefit from my posting.

Recently purchased a 2010 Sierra Crew Cab SLT 4x4 and have been very happy with the exception of one small problem I seem to be having (and am currently working on with GM). The 2010's come with a standard USB port for connecting iPods, iPhones or any other USB device in order for you to be able to play and control MP3's through the factory radio (which in my case it the AM/FM/CD/DVD with rear seat entertainment but not NAV).

Apparently this particular radio has some issues with the iPhone in that when first connected, it sometimes will and sometimes will not connect. Once it does connect it may or may not charge and may or may not throw a message on the iPhone screen that says this device not supported, do you want to switch to airplane mode (phone, bluetooth and wireless cards are disabled in this mode).

The second issue is that once connected and you start playback (control of the device works fine through the radio and/or steering wheel buttons) after approx. 5 minutes the audio starts popping through the speakers. The popping sounds is light and appears to not be radio interference such as spark plug wires, etc. If you disconnect the device then reconnect it you get another 5 or so minutes of clean music playback.

So far, I've been back to the dealer twice with the problem. The first time was to convince them of the problem where it was agreed between the dealer and GM that the head unit of the radio would be replaced. This was agreed to for two reasons. One, we tried the iPhone in another 2010 Sierra and all appeared to work properly. (difference being the test unit did not have DVD). So we then took the head out of that vehicle and put it in my Sierra and all worked perfectly. GM then agreed to swap out the heads. Trip two was to do the actual swap as they did not have an exact unit at the dealer.

When we connceted the new head, the problem persisted causing GM to Ok the replacement of the USB cable that runs from the console to the back of the radio head. (personally I don't think this will work since the other head unit worked fine in my truck but I suppose if I want it resolved I need to let GM jump through whatever hoops it feels it should). The next trip there will be to replace the cable but as I said I don't believe it will work.

There appears to also be a problem with the iPhone and the NAV units that GM is aware of and supposedly is working to resolve, most likely a firmware update. Personally, I feel this is what it will take to resolve my issue but we'll have to wait and see.

A final FYI is that I tried various iPhones and iPod Touch's and had the same problem. When I connected and iPod Nano it worked perfectly therefore reafferming my belief that it's a problem between the iPhone/Touch and the radios firmware. I'll post more as it becomes available.
Old January 14th, 2010, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Interesting. It'll be interesting to see what components are actually involved in the USB system. I'm hoping that it can be retrofitted to my 2007 Sierrra with NAV (its a 2009 headunit that i just installed last week). I'm guessing that the USB cable actually goes to some type of interface box somewhere that then connects to the XM port on the headunit, since there are no extra ports on the radios and as far as I know the 2010 radios are not any different (probably with the exception of the firmware). Since the firmware on the NAV radios is easily updated with the newest DVD, i'm hopeful that this can be added. I've looked at the aftermarket ipod interfaces and they all suck.

Sorry I'm not any help, but I will definately be watching this thread.
Old January 15th, 2010, 2:51 PM
CF Junior Member

They actually just used the old radio chassis and built on a small box that's attached at the bottom with a circuit board and a female mini USB port. The USB cable is in two pieces with a coupling under the cup holders and terminates inside the console near power port. In an attempt to satisfy my own curiosity I pulled the radio and connected my own USB cable straight into the back of the unit bypassing the vehicle's cable. As I suspected the problem still persists and I truly believe it's going to take a firmware update to fix the problem.

One thing I did notice is the unit is made by Panasonic and I'm not sure if that's who made the other head unit we tried as it did not have DVD. In either case, Panasonic says to contact the vehicle vendor for service so I'm at GM's mercy for now which completely sucks as this was one of the reasons for me holding out for a 2010. Surely someone else out there with this head unit has an iPhone or iPod Touch and is experienceing the same issue by now. If anyone (GM folks) knows the procedures for firmware updates and how they go about submitting it would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I do know that GM is aware of a firmware problem with the Nav units. When we connected the iPhone to one of these it immediately threw up a message on the Nav unit saying "USB Error". It's my understanding that they are working to resolve this.
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunatly, we are at the engineers mercy as to when the firmware becomes available. GM is aware of your "usb error", and are working on the fix.
I also had a look, and the Iphone has not been tested to work with the factory radio. Thats not to say that it won't work, but if they haven't tested it and say that it does work, the dealer techs will be reluctant to go out of their way as they may be wasting their time

#PI0003: Navigation Radio USB Error Message - (Nov 19, 2009)

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Navigation Radio USB Error Message </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2010 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>All Equipped with Navigation Radio RPO UUK or UUL</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="#ss1-2369588">Condition/Concern:

Some customers may report one of two concerns:
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>If a USB/ iPod® device is connected, the radio will display the "USB Error" message for three seconds , the music will stop and the radio will default to the last known radio source before the USB device was selected. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>If a USB/ iPod® device is NOT connected, the radio will display the "USB Error" message for three seconds on any of the navigation/radio screens.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<A href="#ss2-2369588">Recommendation/Instructions:

Engineering has identified this as a software calibration concern on certain vehicles equipped with DENSO navigation radios (RPOs UUK or UUL).
Important: DO NOT replace the navigation radio for this concern.
Engineering is working to provide a repair for this condition. Further information will be provided when available.

<HR>
#PIC4738C: iPod Compatibility With GM PAL - keywords accessories accessory apple audio band compatible connect connector electrical entertainment link nano personal radio touch - (Sep 29, 2009)

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>iPod Compatibility With GM PAL</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2010 Buick Enclave</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2010 Chevrolet Corvette</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Malibu, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Traverse</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2010 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2010 Hummer H2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2006-2009 Pontiac Solstice</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Pontiac G5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Saturn Sky</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2010 Saturn Aura, Outlook</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>This PI was superseded to update models. Please discard PIC4738B.
<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="#ss1-2354395">Condition/Concern:

The following Apple iPod models have been tested and proven to be compatible with the GM Personal Audio Link (PAL) accessory system.

iPod Touch 2nd gen. (See Note 1 Below)
iPod Touch
iPod Classic 120GB (See Note 1 Below)
iPod Classic
iPod 5th gen. (Late 2006) (60/80GB)
iPod w/ Video 5th gen (20/60GB)
iPod Color (20 GB, 30 GB, and 60 GB)
iPod Photo (40 GB, 60 GB)
iPod with Click Wheel (20 GB, 40 GB including U2 Special Edition)
iPod with Dock Connector (10 GB, 15 GB, 20 GB, 30 GB, 40 GB)
iPod Nano 4th gen. (See Note 1 Below)
iPod Nano 3rd gen.
iPod Nano 2nd gen.
iPod Nano
iPod Mini 2nd gen
iPod Mini

Remaining models are not compatible or have not yet been tested.
Notie: Some iPod models may have minor functionality concerns example: the ABC search, while in the Album category, may not work properly. Before replacing any components try other iPod models.
Note 1: Currently, the GM PAL system does not support USB charging. The iPod's listed above referring to this NOTE only have USB charging and will not charge when connected to the vehicle. Other than not charging they will function properly.
<A href="#ss2-2354395">Recommendation/Instructions:

Visit http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/ to help identify your iPod model.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old January 17th, 2010, 9:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Shawnvw - Thanks for all the excellent info. We had discovered and confirmed the Nav unit issue when researching the problem with my non-Nav unit. So far GM has been cooperative in trying to rectify the issue. As for the tech, he's been top-notch and has done an excellent job going above and beyond to try to help.

Hopefully GM will recognize the significance of the iPhone (some 30 million in use now in the USA) and will do some testing and provide an update for this head unit. With that number of iPhones and at least the same if not more iPod Touch units out there I'm sure there will be others who have the same problem.

If you have a chance to look it up here is the model number of the head unit I have: 20785735 I did not see a GM part number but I did take photos of the labels on the unit for future reference. I'm not sure what the RPO code for that unit is either but it might be UUJ.

Last edited by robsieb; January 17th, 2010 at 9:37 AM.
Old January 17th, 2010, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Not to change the subject, but do we know if GM has given up developing a PAL for our NAV units? I know they just finally came out with one for the non-Nav units in 2009, but what about us with Nav? The demo I saw of the HHR/Cobalt PAL from 2007 looks like it works pretty well. I imagine it would be even better on the Nav radio.
Old January 30th, 2010, 8:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received this back from Panasonic:

Thank you for contacting Panasonic.

Based on the information that you have provided, we cannot guarantee that your iPhone device will work with your unit. The feature is not available on your unit.

We hope this information is useful to you.

Figured as much.
Old January 31st, 2010, 2:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Looks like others are starting to report the same problem:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9083

Maybe there's hope. Looks like they issued a bulletin and a software update on one back in 09 for a similar problem:

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4197715
Old February 6th, 2010, 2:37 PM
CF Junior Member

USB Radio and MP3 Functionality

The USB (Universal Serial Bus) will be a USB 2.0 port on the radio faceplate, on the IP or in the center console. This interface will give the customer the additional functionality of iPOD/MP3 command and control. Customers now have full radio control of the iPOD/MP3 audio files via the USB cable. A single USB connection allows digital audio transferring from the iPOD to the radio.The customer will also have playback capability with a USB memory stick (only MP3 and WMA files).
Note: Not all memory sticks are supported.
Customers have full radio control of the iPOD/MP3 audio files via the USB cable. A single USB connection allows digital audio transferring from the iPOD to the radio. The iPOD will be charging while connected to the radio.
Note: Video from the iPOD is NOT capable of being transferred to a Navigation radio display.
For the Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR and Malibu; Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice; and Saturn AURA, SKY, the USB port is on the faceplate of the radio. For all other models, it is located in the center console or IP.
For the Cadillac CTS only, a special iPOD cable (USB and AUX cable) is needed. This special cable comes delivered with the vehicle. In all cases, the iPOD will be charging while connected to the radio through the USB port when the vehicle is running or the RPA is active.
Problems with iPOD Not Connecting

If the infotainment system does not operate properly when using a device connected through the USB port, this may be due to an incompatible media device.
Important: DO NOT replace the radio or multimedia interface module due to a customer device incompatibility issue.
Verify the customer's media device is validated for this system using the list below. If the customer's device is a validated device for this system, follow the SI diagnostic procedure to isolate the fault. If the customer's device is not on the validated device list, explain to the customer that their particular unit is not compatible with the system.Troubleshooting Tips for iPOD Devices
  1. [*]
Validated Apple Device - Both Charge/Support Digital Audio (For All RPOs)

For further information on identifying iPOD models, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353

<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Brand
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Name/Description
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Number
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Apple
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Classic 5 & 5.5 Gen
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Apple
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Nano 1Gen
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>2
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Nano 2Gen
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Nano 3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>4
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Classic
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>5
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Touch 1Gen & 2Gen
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPhone (User must switch to "airplane mode")
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>7
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Nano 4 GEN
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old February 6th, 2010, 2:40 PM
CF Junior Member

notice it says user must switch to airplane mode. that sucks but its all we got. its wierd it would work with the other radio and work intermittantly. keep going to the gm dealer and keep your name in front of them. when you get there survey make sure you answer everything completely satisfied and let them know you answered everything completly satisfied but to tell you the truth i wasnt. or bring it to them and say i want my problem fixed before i fill this out. it will get you further than you would think. it also say make sure you usb cable isnt too long. if you need anything else let me know but this is all i could find. hope it is of use.

Quick Reply: 2010 Sierra USB problems