Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

venture transmission

Old August 2nd, 2006, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default venture transmission

At about 85,000 miles, my 2000 Venture's transmission has started shifting hard, making a whining noise. Took it to a shop Summer 2005 and they were unable to get the transmission to act up for them. They changed the trans fluid and filter. It still acts up sometimes, but not consistently enough that I would be sure it would still be doing it if I took it to the shop.

Any suggestions?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: venture transmission

Mine would downshif in the middle of driving at constant speads on level hwys. It turned out to be the TPS (Trottle Possition Sensor).
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Was is the whining from the tranmission?
Old December 12th, 2006, 2:34 AM
CF Beginner

Natureboy. I am having the same problem with my transmission as you did. Did you ever get the transmission jolting resolved?
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Mine does the same thing. Occasionally, during hot weather only, it shifts very hard. It does not rev any higher than normal to get into the next gear, nor does it down shift hard, only when going up through the gears. In cooler weather it never does it. This indicates to me that it is not mechanical, as any worn out part internally would not cause such an intermittent problem. I haven't gotten into it yet, (because it is so intermittent,) but I'd bet it is electrical. I intent to first clean any and all electrical connectors going to the trans., to ensure good contact. As heat builds, there is more resistance. If not fixed then, I'd bet it is some kind of electrically controlled devise on or in the trans itself....If anyone pegs it in the meantime, PM me with your results...
Thanks!
Chris
Old February 21st, 2008, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Has anyone figured out what is going on with the thunking while upshifting. Mine whines every once in a while, then bangs between every gear. If I let it cool off for a while, it is fine. Did the fluid change, no help. Van has 100K. Anything else short of rebuilding the transmission? Thanks
Old February 21st, 2008, 7:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is the pressure control solenoid, when it gets hot it shorts out and commands full line pressure. This is the whining that you are hearing from the trans, its the pump. No cel will set but it will store a code of p1811 max adapt shift. I have done alot of these for this problem. You can diagnosis this yourself when its happening and the vehicle is shifting hard stop shut it off wait a minute restart and see if the whining is gone and it shifts normal again. If so thats the problem.
Old March 13th, 2008, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

What is the fix for a code p1811 and the symptoms ktm521 is describing?

Old March 13th, 2008, 6:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fix for the problem is to replace the pressure control solenoid in the transmission. The symptoms are after driving awhile the soleniod shorts out and when this happens commands full line pressure to the trans. When this happens the driver will feel a really hard shift to every gear from take offs. If this is happening shut the vehicle off wait a couple of minutes then restart and see if it shifts normall if it does then thats the problem.
Old March 6th, 2010, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,

Sorry to rehash this old thread BUT, if I don't replace the Pressure control Solenoid will that cause other problems??? For example If I decide I can live with the whining(married;P) and the jerky transmission, would it be OK to continue driving status qua???

thanx in advance!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: venture transmission